Laser skin resurfacing is a very effective method of correcting texture and pigmentation issues of the skin using ablative and non-ablative lasers. Laser skin resurfacing is minimally invasive and stimulates the skin’s own healing process and collagen production.
What is Laser Skin Resurfacing?
Lasers therapy is very helpful in addressing a variety of skin concerns. Ablative lasers create targeted, uniform “injuries” to the skin with the goal of removing the top layer of damaged skin much like a very deep chemical peel. This type of laser is highly effective at addressing the following skin concerns:
- Skin Tightening – The tiny wounds created will trigger the healing process and collagen production which will have a firming effect on the skin.
- Scarring – Stubborn scars can be lightened and removed using ablative lasers. Scars left over from acne, post-traumatic scars or even stretch marks can be successfully removed.
- Fine Line and Wrinkle Reduction – When removing the top damaged layer of the skin, this can trigger healing as well as collagen production improving the firmness and over skin quality.
What to Expect from the Procedure
First, your skin will be cleansed of any oils or products and the laser hand piece will be placed on either specific spots or on a targeted section. Your downtime and recovery will depend on the depth of your treatment. You will be advised on how to care for your skin and if there are any products from your normal routine that you should avoid. Common symptoms you may experience are:
- Scab forming once the skin starts to heal
- Flaking or peeling of the skin
Post-care and Results
After the procedure, you may be given protective ointments to protect any areas of the skin that are open. The results from ablative laser skin resurfacing are long lasting, however, the patient should be aware that repeated unprotected sun exposure can reverse results by further damaging the skin.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Surgery by
Dr. Leland M. Deane Plastic Surgery
Dr. Deane looks forward to working with you to find your individual skin care solution. Your customized treatment plan will address all of your skin concerns. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at one of the area locations. Dr. Deane meets his patients in Garden City, Babylon as well as Manhattan.